uPortal layout with multiple columns per row?

uPortal layout with multiple columns per row?

Lauren Anderson

Has anyone modified the DLM or created their own layout with multiple columns per row? We’ve had a look at the DLM code in Java and XSL and we’re not sure how big a task this is. It would look something like this (the content area to the right of the left column):

You can see several examples in the default Bootstrap themes; for example the Keen theme and the Maisonnette theme. We’d like to modernize our layout without writing our own layout manager if it’s possible. Any thoughts?

Lauren

Re: uPortal layout with multiple columns per row?

Drew Wills

Lauren,

Great question.

The server-side Java (DLM) code requires zero enhancements to support a layout with "multiple columns per row" -- the entire layout tree is a "pass-through" concern for the Java code.

The part of uPortal that is *limited* as far as "multiple columns per row" designs is the theme (Respondr).  It supports only one row (with typically 1-6 columns, or a CSS flexgrid) in the Main Content Area.  To support unlimited "multiple columns per row" you would need to enhance Respondr.

To support this exact design, however, you would not need to do anything to respondr.  You can make this design with regions...

Eyebrow:

  - Beagle
  - Dashboard
  - Icons

Sidebar-Left:

  - Menu
  - Features
  - Current Project

Pre-Content:

  - New Users
  - Monthly Sales
  - Impressions
  - Downloads

Main Content Area (not a region):

  - Recent Movement

Post-Content:

  - Purchases
  - Latest Commits

drew

On 12/6/18 11:59 AM, Lauren Anderson wrote:

Has anyone modified the DLM or created their own layout with multiple columns per row? We’ve had a look at the DLM code in Java and XSL and we’re not sure how big a task this is. It would look something like this (the content area to the right of the left column):

You can see several examples in the default Bootstrap themes; for example the Keen theme and the Maisonnette theme. We’d like to modernize our layout without writing our own layout manager if it’s possible. Any thoughts?

Lauren

Re: uPortal layout with multiple columns per row?

Christian Cousquer

Le jeu. 6 déc. 2018 à 20:30, Christian Cousquer <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Lauren,
Agreed! so true Drew.
@Lauren think in term of region + a little of css/less
You can do this layout without modifying the xsl.
Just modifying navigation.less (suppress the last css mediaqueries for desktop code...)
😊
christian