my cpp carousel setup

Chris Beach
Hello folks,

There is some interest in the carousels on https://www.cpp.edu/~test-group/portal/index.shtml?index=1 , specifically the carousels for Recommended, Favorites, and News & Announcements .

In looking how to implement those carousels, it doesn't look like they are using the uP web components of dashboard-carousel nor content-carousel (no shadow dom), though it uses the similar technology of slick.io .

Could someone with familiarity with that code provide some details on how those carousels were built, and if appropriate, share the backing code with the community?

Thanks!
Chris

Re: Ex: [uportal-dev] my cpp carousel setup

Chris Beach
Ah nice - thanks for the clarification Jonathan!

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 9:36:46 AM UTC-6 Jonathan M. Tran wrote:
The carousels you see on that mockup were eventually materialized into @uportal/content-carousel found in https://github.com/uPortal-contrib/uPortal-web-components
With a few tweaks, this is what we have going on in production

Re: Ex: [uportal-dev] my cpp carousel setup

Jonathan M. Tran-2
Yeap! It is not a problem on the mockup page since the mockup is a mockup :)

In our uPortal instance, the carousel content links out to external websites/applications. We accomplish this by setting the alternativeMaximizedLink portlet-preference when creating the portlet definitions.
The links open in a new tab/window because that is the behaviour we want when we link to external websites/applications.
With that, the use case of carousel slides linking to content within uPortal has not been encountered ... until now.

> The mockup is great btw - inspiring!
I'll pass this along to the team that put this together.

Hello Jonathan, I'm trying to use the content-carousel and it appears that our portlet links are hard-coded in the web component with target="_blank" - so all links coming from the content-carousel open in a new browser window, unfortunately.

It looks like this is not a problem in the https://www.cpp.edu/~test-group/portal/index.shtml?index=1 mockup, and content-carousel links open in the same window... Were you able to override the target="_blank" issue there?

The mockup is great btw - inspiring!

Thank you!
Todd
Todd Nelson
University of Illinois

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 11:15:08 AM UTC-6 Chris Beach wrote:
Ah nice - thanks for the clarification Jonathan!

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 9:36:46 AM UTC-6 Jonathan M. Tran wrote:
The carousels you see on that mockup were eventually materialized into @uportal/content-carousel found in https://github.com/uPortal-contrib/uPortal-web-components
With a few tweaks, this is what we have going on in production

In looking how to implement those carousels, it doesn't look like they are using the uP web components of dashboard-carousel nor content-carousel (no shadow dom), though it uses the similar technology of slick.io .

Could someone with familiarity with that code provide some details on how those carousels were built, and if appropriate, share the backing code with the community?

Thanks!
Chris

CAUTION: This email was not sent from a Cal Poly Pomona service. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments. Please forward suspicious email to [hidden email].