missing org.opensaml:opensaml:1.1b:pom

Jesse Farinacci
Greetings,

I can not seem to find, nor can Maven, the opensaml 1.1 pom. When
building my customized CAS war overlay, v3.4.2, Maven issues the
following:

[WARNING] Missing POM for org.opensaml:opensaml:jar:1.1b

Any thoughts? Thanks!
-Jesse

Re: missing org.opensaml:opensaml:1.1b:pom

Jesse Farinacci
It's not causing anything to fail, but it's irritating. :-) Previous
versions of opensaml had proper artifacts in the main maven
repository[1]; this facilitates nice integration with tools like M2E.
Just curious if we've given up putting quality/proper maven artifacts
into the JA-SIG repository..

  [1] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/opensaml/

-Jesse

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Scott Battaglia
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its not there and despite the warning you shouldn't need it.  Is it causing
> something to fail?

Re: missing org.opensaml:opensaml:1.1b:pom

Scott Battaglia-2
We're not responsible for those artifacts.  We can't generate poms for something we don't own (I mean we could but it would be kind of wrong and misleading).  We have the artifact in there because we need it and its not available in the public repository.

If you have issues with OpenSAML, and its deployment into the public repository, you should contact Internet2.

Cheers,
Scott

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its not there and despite the warning you shouldn't need it.  Is it causing
> something to fail?

Re: missing org.opensaml:opensaml:1.1b:pom

Jesse Farinacci
I agree that we're not responsible for those artifacts, but as soon as
we uploaded an artifact into our repository we are placing some level
of responsibility on ourselves. And since we're going to do that, I
think it would be best to not break standard Maven concepts like
making a pom available for the jar.

JA-SIG is using Nexus OSS for artifacts, uploading a 3rd party
artifact with this tool can easily create a placeholder pom.

Anyhow, I think if we're going to say it is wrong for us to generate a
pom for an artifact in our own 3rd party repository, then it is also
equally wrong to have the artifact there in the first place. I happen
to not agree that it is wrong, but think that we should go all the
way..

I do have a problem with Internet2 and will request they deploy their
1.1b artifact, however I also have a problem with the half-hearted way
we've handled it, too.

-Jesse

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Scott Battaglia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're not responsible for those artifacts.  We can't generate poms for
> something we don't own (I mean we could but it would be kind of wrong and
> misleading).  We have the artifact in there because we need it and its not
> available in the public repository.
>
> If you have issues with OpenSAML, and its deployment into the public
> repository, you should contact Internet2.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

Re: missing org.opensaml:opensaml:1.1b:pom

Brent Putman
Hi,
I am one of the OpenSAML developers within Internet2.  Let me say for
the record that:  Internet2 has never published any OpenSAML version in
the public Maven repository.  In fact, 1.x as a project was never
Mavenized (by us) and was never published (by us) in any Maven
repository.  OpenSAML 2.x is Maven-based, but is currently published (by
us) only in our repo at

http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/maven2/

If any Maven artifacts are found in any other Maven repo for OpenSAML or
Shibboleth, they were not published there by Internet2.  Must have been
someone publishing something they they don't own (as Scott warned
against).  Just wanted to clarify.

This thread is apropos:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensaml-users/browse_thread/thread/eb39df1e21b73df1

Also, be aware that as of June 30, 2010, OpenSAML 1.x will be in a
wholly unsupported status (as Shibboleth 1.x transitions to an
unsupported status).

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OS1Status

http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/shib-which-version.html

Thanks,
Brent

On 5/3/10 4:00 PM, Jesse Farinacci wrote:

> I do have a problem with Internet2 and will request they deploy their
> 1.1b artifact, however I also have a problem with the half-hearted way
> we've handled it, too.
>
> -Jesse

Re: missing org.opensaml:opensaml:1.1b:pom

Scott Battaglia-2
Brent

Thanks for the clarification. We'll also hopefully be migrating to 2 sometime soon.

Cheers
Scott