[jasig-incubation] Simple RSS portlet vs Newsreader and incubation

[jasig-incubation] Simple RSS portlet vs Newsreader and incubation

Steve Swinsburg-3
Hi all,

Susan has asked me to discuss how we approach the Simple RSS Portlet incubation [1]. I proposed it for incubation a few months ago as at the time there wasn't a simple way to render an RSS feed without using the deprecated RSS channel. It's initial incarnation was extremely simple: give it a URL, it will render it, caching included [2]. The idea behind this was that it would just appear as a block of content.

I've since made a number of improvements to it [3] including more (optional) user configuration and support for all types of media, and will be pushing out a new release soon. The code is all still very simple (a portlet class, some helper classes and a few JSPs). We are using here at ANU and have already submitted the required documents for this to be contributed.

The question is whether or not this should be an unsponsored contribution (effectively retiring it from incubation) or continue incubating it as a separate portlet. Whether or not all functions are available in the NewsReaderPortlet I do not know as I have not evaluated it.

cheers,
Steve

[1] https://issues.jasig.org/browse/INC-39
[2] https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Simple+RSS+Portlet
[3] http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/simple-rss-portlet-improvements/

Re: [jasig-incubation] Simple RSS portlet vs Newsreader and incubation

Jen Bourey-2
Just as a quick factual note, the Jasig News Reader Portlet does support rendering a single RSS feed in a simple manner.  That implementation is all preference-based and is much more straightforward than the original multi-feed included by that portlet.

The News Reader's single-feed RSS portlet is what uPortal 4 is using to power single-feed views, and I think it does optionally support some user preferences.  I know it supports caching and AntiSamy-based content cleaning, and it has some in-progress features to support image/video display.

Steve, if you get a chance to look at uPortal 4, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the current incarnation of the News Reader. Regardless of the status of the Simple RSS portlet, your contributions and suggestions would be very much appreciated.  If you're interested in pulling all the features of the two portlets together into a single project I'd love to work with you on it.

- Jen

On Oct 17, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Susan has asked me to discuss how we approach the Simple RSS Portlet incubation [1]. I proposed it for incubation a few months ago as at the time there wasn't a simple way to render an RSS feed without using the deprecated RSS channel. It's initial incarnation was extremely simple: give it a URL, it will render it, caching included [2]. The idea behind this was that it would just appear as a block of content.
>
> I've since made a number of improvements to it [3] including more (optional) user configuration and support for all types of media, and will be pushing out a new release soon. The code is all still very simple (a portlet class, some helper classes and a few JSPs). We are using here at ANU and have already submitted the required documents for this to be contributed.
>
> The question is whether or not this should be an unsponsored contribution (effectively retiring it from incubation) or continue incubating it as a separate portlet. Whether or not all functions are available in the NewsReaderPortlet I do not know as I have not evaluated it.
>

> cheers,
> Steve
>
> [1] https://issues.jasig.org/browse/INC-39
> [2] https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Simple+RSS+Portlet
> [3] http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/simple-rss-portlet-improvements/
> --
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]

Re: [jasig-incubation] Simple RSS portlet vs Newsreader and incubation

Steve Swinsburg-3
Hi Jen,

Would love to evaluate it. Is it bundled in up4 already? Is it the one powering the Jasig News channels etc?

cheers,
Steve