how can I debug the SSP source code in eclipse

how can I debug the SSP source code in eclipse

Ajinkya
I have uPortal project (uPortal-cbda654337d2021f5a82d1ea68ececb98e68ee9b) opened in my eclipse IDE. I can see “SSP” project in project explorer (no “ssp-platform” project).
I want to debug the SSP code in eclipse, but I do not see any source code in this project. But I see that source code in SSP code downloaded from https://github.com/Jasig/SSP. But we cannot run this SSP code directly, from eclipse IDE, as it is dependent on ssp-platform app.
So how can I debug the SSP source code in eclipse?
---
To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives, see http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/JSG/ssp-dev

Re: how can I debug the SSP source code in eclipse

dmccallum
Administrator
I don't think any of the active SSP committers use Eclipse, so I can't give particularly detailed guidance. I'd probably try just importing Platform and SSP as two Eclipse projects in the 'normal way'. Sounds like maybe you only imported platform and the empty 'ssp' project you're seeing might be the child overlay project responsible for including SSP in the Platform EAR during the ant build (./uportal-portlets-overlay/ssp).

Re debugging, for multi-project Eclipse workspaces with idiosyncratic build processes I've had good luck in the past with the Sysdeo Tomcat plugin. [1] Not sure how well maintained it is these days and their site seems to be unreachable at the moment, but when I was using it much simpler to get working than WTP 'servers'.

In IntelliJ, the Tomcat integration Just Works, including remote debugger attachment, though I still do builds and deploys from the command line.

- Dan

[1] - http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin.html

On Oct 7, 2014, at 4:18 AM, Ajinkya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have uPortal project (uPortal-cbda654337d2021f5a82d1ea68ececb98e68ee9b) opened in my eclipse IDE. I can see “SSP” project in project explorer (no “ssp-platform” project).
> I want to debug the SSP code in eclipse, but I do not see any source code in this project. But I see that source code in SSP code downloaded from https://github.com/Jasig/SSP. But we cannot run this SSP code directly, from eclipse IDE, as it is dependent on ssp-platform app.
> So how can I debug the SSP source code in eclipse?
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives, see http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/JSG/ssp-dev

---
To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives, see http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/JSG/ssp-dev

Re: how can I debug the SSP source code in eclipse

Jim Stanley
Hi
Eclipse user here.  I have had no issues with using Eclipse to debug.  As Dan said, make sure you have the SSP project in the eclipse environment.
Then I have been able to use the Eclipse and the Remote Java Application configuration. Settings Standard Socket, Host: localhost, Port:8000.
Add your project

Make sure you start Tomcat in debug mode: ./catalina.sh jpda start works for me.

Then Start debugging in Eclipse.  Set a breakpoint in a controller and you should be good to go.

Jim Stanley