adopting uPortal

hadrien huber
Hi everyone,

We are currently in the process of adopting uPortal and our coworkers wanted to be able to select a group of students according to their department, year, etc ... and then send them an email on their personal address.
So, my question is : is that something uPortal is meant to do and if so, how can we do it.
I'm sorry if there is an obvious answer to this, I'm still fairly new to uPortal.
Thanks in advance,

Hadrien Huber

Re: adopting uPortal

Benito Gonzalez-2
Hi Hadrien,

uPortal does not have a feature to send email to end-users. That said, a custom app can be created that integrates into uPortal to accomplish this need.

I created a similar portlet about a decade ago. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that code (previous employer). It also was specific to the institution because it had to pull the user mailing lists from LDAP. The portlet mostly used the UI to control access and built the query.

 I would guess it would take about 2 weeks to develop and test such a portlet.

Hope this helps!
-bjagg

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 12:42 AM hadrien huber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We are currently in the process of adopting uPortal and our coworkers wanted to be able to select a group of students according to their department, year, etc ... and then send them an email on their personal address.
So, my question is : is that something uPortal is meant to do and if so, how can we do it.
I'm sorry if there is an obvious answer to this, I'm still fairly new to uPortal.
Thanks in advance,

Hadrien Huber

Re: adopting uPortal

Julien Gribonvald

Hi Hadrien,

How would you like to achieve that ? is it a one shot email ? All depends on the needs, means and uses.

I see several ways, but the main one would be to use sympa, there is a portlet that can be integrated into uPortal and you can create a mailing list based on ldap request as example.

After like Benito said you can make a development to write a message and send it to all users selected by a ldap request, or based on a group (Grouper ?).

Also there isn't only e-mail possibility, you can use notifications or sms (with ESUP-SMSU) as examples...

Thanks

Julien Gribonvald