Upgrade instructions

Alan Ballou

We are currently on version 2.2.0 and we would like to upgrade to the latest version.  We are a Windows environment and we have not made any customizations to the software.  We just want the latest version installed as is.  Is there an ‘Upgrade’  document that I can view.  Any help would be appreciated.  It has been a while since it was installed.

Thanks

Alan Ballou

Programmer/Analyst

Greenfield Community College

Greenfield MA

Re: Upgrade instructions

Paul Spaude
Alan,

The main guide for upgrades is: https://wiki.jasig.org/display/SSP/SSP+Source+Code+Upgrade+Process

New External Data fields or changes to existing are mapped here: https://wiki.jasig.org/display/SSP/SSP+External+Database+Definitions

Version information and install info: https://wiki.jasig.org/display/SSP/SSP+v2.7.0+Release+Notes

However, it sounds like you haven't customized or forked source code. If that's the case, the first link isn't necessary and instead you can simply checkout the latest code and rebuild following the last link and install instructions.

Besides what's given above, upgrades roughly follow these steps:

1. Take backups (most important is the database)

2. Checkout or download the latest code version

3. Install or build that code following previous notes or relevant parts of the installation instructions: https://wiki.jasig.org/display/SSP/SSP+v2.7.0+Installation+Instructions

4. Check "*ssp_dir*/src/main/config/external/ssp-config.properties" and "*uportal_or_ssp-platform_dir*/uportal-war/src/main/resources/properties/ssp-platform-config.default.properties" and compare with existing config files wherever you've set SSP_CONFIGDIR. New fields in ssp-config.properties *must* be added otherwise SSP may startup with an error.

5. In the SSP-Platform directory run all "Add new permission" imports to enable newly added features. These are found in the Release Notes and you'll have run all imports found in the latest version *and* previous versions between your current version and the target version. Some are listed multiple times between versions of the Release Notes, you should only run those once.

6. Startup Tomcat and make sure SSP renders correctly once done. Many prefer to run a brief smoke test going through the various data and tools to make sure everything is stable.

7. Go through the Admin tool and make sure any added features and configurations match your institution's needs. Newly added config in "Configuration Operations" is the most important.

8. In that Admin tool, if any Message Templates were customized, they will not be updated. It's a good idea to test Message Templates and email after an upgrade and if there are errors or other template variables showing, compare with: https://wiki.jasig.org/display/SSP/SSP+v2.X+Message+Template+Variable+List

9. Verify new or altered External Data which was mapped from your SIS appears and that sync process is working

10. UAT Test, once ready, deploy to the Production environment

Thanks,
Paul Spaude
Software Engineer | Unicon, Inc.
[hidden email]

Re: Upgrade instructions

Paul Spaude

I'll take a look at updating the guide, it appears to assume you already have the desired SSP version downloaded. SSP 2.7 files can be downloaded here: https://github.com/Jasig/SSP/archive/rel-2-7-patches.zip.

Once you've downloaded the SSP files, you'll need to update both ssp-config.properties and ssp-platform-config.properties wherever SSP_CONFIGDIR is located with new or updated fields. File diff tool(s) work well for that. The default config files are located in: src/main/config/external/ for SSP's "ssp-config.properties" and uportal-war/src/main/resources/properties/ for SSP-Platform's "ssp-platform-config.default.properties".

Thanks,
Paul Spaude