Unable to import demo data into locally deployed SSP

Unable to import demo data into locally deployed SSP

Tejas Sutar
I followed all the developer installation instructions and was glad to see SSP site running on tomcat. Now I want to insert demo data in database to play around with the system. Following is the command I used to import data:

ant -Dmaven.test.skip=true -Ddir=uportal-war/src/main/data/ssp_demo_entities data-import

Unfortunately I couldn't see data in my database as mentioned on this link:
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/SSP/SSP+Demo+Data+Documentation

When I run above command, it shows "BUILD SUCCEEDED", though I can't see expected data in database. Could anybody help me figure out where I am going wrong? Thanks.
---
To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives, see http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/JSG/ssp-dev

Re: Unable to import demo data into locally deployed SSP

dmccallum
Administrator
uportal-war/src/main/data/ssp_demo_entities defines portal-level (i.e. SSP-Platform) accounts which just exist to allow demo users to log in and demo coaches to be treated as such.

The more important step is #2 in the dev install instructions where you specify the following in $SSP_CONFIGDIR/ssp-config.properties:

  db_liquibase_changelog=classpath:org/jasig/ssp/database/masterChangeLog-demo.xml

After a restart, you should be able to search for and interact with students in SSP.

One important note on the SSP demo data, though... as noted in the page you linked to, updates to demo data tends to lag behind the latest changes to SSP's external_* db table definitions. So without massaging the demo data itself, you'll probably need to run the following SQL before trying to start up with masterChangeLog-demo.xml [1]:

        ALTER TABLE external_student_transcript_course
        DROP CONSTRAINT external_student_transcript_course_pkey;

      ALTER TABLE external_student_transcript_course
        DROP CONSTRAINT external_student_transcript_c_school_id_term_code_formatted_key;

      ALTER TABLE external_student_transcript_course ALTER COLUMN section_code DROP NOT NULL;

      ALTER TABLE external_student_transcript_term
        DROP CONSTRAINT external_student_transcript_term_pkey;

      ALTER TABLE external_student_transcript_term
        DROP CONSTRAINT external_student_transcript_term_school_id_term_code_key;

There is also an open PR´╗┐ that patches the demo data itself as an alternative to manipulating db constraints. [2]

- Dan

On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:23 AM, Tejas Sutar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

When you run the ant command to import the demo entities into Platform, is SSP_CONFIGDIR set as an environment variable? That's how the ant command is going to know to write to the correct db.