Re: [uportal-user] uPortal 5 : dynamic skin too slow

Re: [uportal-user] uPortal 5 : dynamic skin too slow

Jérôme Nenert

Julien Gribonvald <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Jérôme !
>
> I didn't hear about a such problem.
>
> I already seen a such thing when having overload problems, when the
> tomcat/apache is too slow for serving things !
>
> Which version are you deploying ? Which architecture do you have ?
> tomcat behind apache proxy with load-balancer ajp ? How many jvm
> memory did you set ? Have you at least 4 Go ? I would recommand that.

The latest version of uPortal-start without any customization. Tried
to increase JVM memory but not changes.

Seems to be more obvious using Firefox.

> Else you dynamic skin is set to which group of users ?

I use the default non-tenant-layout. Tried to move
dynamic-respondr-skin to all-layout ( AllUsersEvaluatorFactory  ) but
didn't change anything.

> You don't use the Everybody group ?

Yes ( like in the default data set ). But i tried to changed to more
specific group. Didn't change anything.

Do you think it could come from slow group evaluation ?

Le 17/10/2019 à 11:09, Jérôme Nenert a écrit :

> Julien Gribonvald <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Jérôme !
>>
>> I didn't hear about a such problem.
>>
>> I already seen a such thing when having overload problems, when the
>> tomcat/apache is too slow for serving things !
>>
>> Which version are you deploying ? Which architecture do you have ?
>> tomcat behind apache proxy with load-balancer ajp ? How many jvm
>> memory did you set ? Have you at least 4 Go ? I would recommand that.
>>

> The latest version of uPortal-start without any customization. Tried
> to increase JVM memory but not changes.
>
> Seems to be more obvious using Firefox.
>
>> Else you dynamic skin is set to which group of users ?
>
> I use the default non-tenant-layout. Tried to move
> dynamic-respondr-skin to all-layout ( AllUsersEvaluatorFactory  ) but
> didn't change anything.
>
>> You don't use the Everybody group ?
>
> Yes ( like in the default data set ). But i tried to changed to more
> specific group. Didn't change anything.
>
> Do you think it could come from slow group evaluation ?

Slow group evaluation is a possibility when it use not optimized rules
and if you don't have anougth jvm memory for caches (see on the cache
manager if you have bad stats - ie a number of objects 100% used + a low
efficiency ~< 80% ).

But after the cache are good for the default installation, so I'm
wondering what could be your problem.

Else you have as alternative to try with the Default skin configuration
https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal/blob/v5.4.1/docs/implement/frontend/SKINNING_UPORTAL.md#default-skin

- Julien

>> Did you change any data from your install ?
>>
>> - Julien
>>

>> Le 16/10/2019 à 17:21, Jérôme Nenert a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> uPortal-start using defaultSkin, browser: Firefox
>>>
>>> Dynamic skin takes too slow : a user can quickly see a no css page
>>> just before seeing the regular page with defaultSkin ( tested on the
>>> welcome page, but can be seen on any tabs when logged in ).
>>>
>>> Any optimization that could help ?
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> Jerome NENERT
>>> D.S.I.
>>> Université Panthéon-Assas
>>>

>> --
>> Julien Gribonvald
>>
>> --
>> send an email to [hidden email].
>> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/uportal-user/7334ad88-4f43-f1c4-14c9-f7fb326fe850%40recia.fr.

--
Julien Gribonvald

Re: [uportal-user] uPortal 5 : dynamic skin too slow

Jérôme Nenert

After some investigations, the problem is "flash of unstyled content"
("FOUC"). Could the problem comes from render blocking CSS  ?

Jérôme Nenert <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> After some investigations, the problem is "flash of unstyled
> content" ("FOUC"). Could the problem comes from render blocking CSS  ?

Some tests :

At the top of HTML ( respondr.xsl ), add

In the CSS file, add

html {
     visibility: visible;
     opacity: 1;