Re: [uportal-user] Uportal Error 404 on clean install

Re: [uportal-user] Uportal Error 404 on clean install

Christian Murphy
Sorry you're running into a spot of trouble.
A 404 by itself isn't enough information for folks to offer suggestions on what could be happening.

Could you expand with more information around:
  1. What version of uPortal and uPortal start are you using?
  2. What operating system are you using?
  3. What Java version are you using?
  4. It sounds like you are using a custom domain. How did you configure the domain?
  5. What have you tried so far to resolve the issue?
  6. Does vanilla uPortal start (uPortal start without any customizations) display the page as expected?
If you are looking for a quick start guide https://www.unicon.net/insights/articles/uportal-50-running introduces uPortal start and has quick instructions to get up and running.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 6:20 AM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I reinstalled Uportal using https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start and everything was build successfully but it showing Error 404 on the domain.
Capsddsature.PNG

Re: [uportal-user] Uportal Error 404 on clean install

fayz
Here's Catalinia.out
https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/d7064856

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 10:57:29 PM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
Can I share server details privately? is there any way.?

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 10:42:05 PM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
Hi Christian,
Thankyou for fast support.

A detailed scenario for my trouble :).

I reinstalled Uportal using https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start
The previous tomcat process was running so I killed the process and rebuild using ./gradlew portalInit -resolved
Now, Whenever i reinstall and rebuild the Uportal its building successfully but can access the Uportal on domain.
I'll share the logs in a moment.

  1. Uportal 5
  2. Openjdk version "1.8.0_275"
  3. CentOS  -7
  4. Yes, Custom Domain, No SSL right now
  5. Tried to clean rebuild uportal.
  6.  No, the domain is refusing to connect but the IP:PORT is showing the tomcat page
Yes, I followed this also.

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 10:14:41 PM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Any Help?

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 11:24:48 PM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
Here's Catalinia.out
[...]

Thankyou for the help!

I think I found the problem.
uPortal Installation have no issues as I can access from IP:PORT/uPortal/ but not from my.domain.com.
Can you provide any domain configuration docs before installing uPortal. so it is accessible from my.domain.com?

Regards,
Faizan

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 9:23:13 PM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:

Here's Catalinia.out

Nothing looks like an error in catalina.log, though it does look like the log is truncated.
Again, you're looking for errors and/or exceptions, are you seeing some in any of the log files mentioned before, particularly anything around domain or host configuration?

Any Help?

Folks are helping.
A friendly reminder that this is an open source community first and foremost, it is a place for the community to collaborate, as time permits.
If you are looking for support with a service level agreement or are interested in dedicated training, consider reaching out to one of Apereo's commercial affiliates.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 5:47 PM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

An approach many adopters take is fronting uPortal/Tomcat with another server.
And most DNS and certificate providers have a guide on connecting domains and certificates they provide with Apache HTTPD.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:52 AM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried to edit server.xml in tomcat and added the following and restarted tomcat

<Host name="my.domain.com"  appBase="webapps"
           unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
           startStopThreads="0">

but still I can't access uportal on my.domain.com but it is accessible at IP/uPortal.

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 12:13:44 AM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Which server.xml?
etc/tomcat/server.xml? (this path is relative to uportal-start, and requires a rebuild to copy to file into the final tomcat server)
.gradle/tomcat/conf/server.xml ? (also relative to uportal-start path, this one should work on restarting tomcat, but could be overridden in a clean build, replaced by the contents of etc/tomcat/server.xml)
or a different server.xml?

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 5:13 PM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Changed this one .gradle/tomcat/conf/server.xml

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:31:34 AM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
portal/portal.log https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/637a9c15
localhost_access.log https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/e01adf5c
On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:13:12 AM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
[...]

So, The above problem is now fixed but I'm having SSL issues.  I can access from http but can't access from https://my.domain.com
I installed LetsEncrypt certificates and attached in  .gradle/tomcat/conf/server.xml

  <Connector port="8443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true">
        <SSLHostConfig>
           <Certificate certificateKeyFile="privkey.pem"
                         certificateFile="cert.pem"
                         certificateChainFile="chain.pem"
                         type="RSA" />
        </SSLHostConfig>
    </Connector>

The certificates are in same directory.
I restarted tomcat also.

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:32:40 AM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
[...]

I have Sakai installed on sakai.domain.com and uPortal on portal.domain.com. CAS is configured on both
on uPortal i've fronted tomcat with apache httpd with mod_proxy

here's SSL.conf configurations.
SSLProxyEngine on
    ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/

I can login to Sakai through uPortal's bundled CAS but I can't login to uPortal as it shows the following screen after signing in with admin credentials. I changed localhost:8080 in global.properties to portal.domain.com as sign in button was redirecting to localhost:8080.

I think it's uPortal issue as I can login to Sakai using the uPortal's bundled CAS but same gateway isn't working for uPortal.

we.PNG
On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 8:20:04 PM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:
 403 while accessing the uportal

Which server is returning 403? Tomcat or HTTPD?
More generally, it sounds like the issue resides in Apache HTTPD configuration or Apache Tomcat configuration rather than in uPortal itself.
There are some handy guides on HTTPS with tomcat https://howtodoinjava.com/tomcat/how-to-configure-tomcat-with-ssl-or-https/ and HTTPD configuration https://www.scriptarticle.com/apache-server-configuration-file/ which may point in the right direction.
There are additionally support lists that specialize in HTTPD https://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-users and Tomcat https://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users which may also have insights.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 10:37 PM Faizan Asad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Christian,

I fronted tomcat with apache httpd with SSL installed and followed the instructions mentioned here..
but i am getting error 403 while accessing the uportal.

I configured using

Option #2 mod_proxy/mod_proxy_ajp

and added the proxy ports also.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 11:13 PM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Julien Gribonvald

Hi,

You have a configuration problem, it's not a bug a lot of peoples are deploying uPortal without errors. But you are using proxy_ajp and after proxy http, etc... so you should stay on one proxy system and try to make it working as all proxy system are working.

I would recommand that you stay on proxy http on port 8080 on your tomcat and use the tomcat connector on port 8080. With a such conf the certificate is only needed on the frontal part and not on tomcat, but be sure to move this conf:  https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start/blob/master/etc/tomcat/conf/server.xml#L69 to this one (for proxying with https): https://github.com/GIP-RECIA/uPortal-start/blob/55e6ac87733e9281199e75e3b61d1b176dff5fbf/etc/tomcat/conf/server.xml#L69

After this conf, please provide the portal.log file on the part related to your error.

Regards.

Julien