Re:[jasig-webpresence] [uportal-steering-committee] JASIG LOGO UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS FOR YOUTUBE

Re:[jasig-webpresence] [uportal-steering-committee] JASIG LOGO UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS FOR YOUTUBE

Eric Dalquist
Hello there, I'm going to include the Jasig board and our web-presence folks on this since some of those folks can likely clarify things.

My initial reaction was just going to point you to http://www.jasig.org/ as I thought we had all of the content on that site posted under CC but I see that isn't the case. I believe that is an oversight and that we can get our site updated shortly to have the content available under CC-Attribution

As for citations I'm hoping the board folks can provide a list.

Thanks for the work on the article.

-Eric

On 12/25/11 2:53 PM, Rex Djere wrote:
Hello!
The Wikipedia article for Jasig is coming along nicely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasig
As you will notice, Wikipedia has a couple of issues with the article up top.
  • Can i please have permission to post the Jasig logo on the article under a Creative Commons license? Wikipedia requires some sort of verifiable method of known that you agree to this.
  • A Wikipedia admin says that the article may be deleted in I cannot cite independent, veriable articles (such as news articles) discussing Jasig. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

--
Thank you,
Rex R. Djere

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

Re:[jasig-webpresence] [uportal-steering-committee] JASIG LOGO UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS FOR YOUTUBE

Eric Dalquist
Just wondering if this got followed up on?

To the webpresence folks and the board, can we change the www.jasig.org site to have the CC-Attribution license on the bottom?

-Eric

On 12/25/11 3:19 PM, Eric Dalquist wrote:
[...]

Jim Helwig-2
Folks,
I am not an expert on these things. Perhaps someone like John Lewis can weigh in on this. I thought we generally wanted to apply a CC-Attribution license to our web and wiki content, but it would be good to have someone confirm this as I am not sure what the ramifications are.

If we want to do that, do we simply add it to the footer template for all our web site? Or do we need to undergo some type of review of all our content to see if it is appropriate?

And do we (can we?) do this for our wiki as well?

JimH

on 1/2/2012 9:43 AM Eric Dalquist said the following:

> Just wondering if this got followed up on?
>
> To the webpresence folks and the board, can we change the www.jasig.org site to have the CC-Attribution license on the bottom?
>
> -Eric
>
> On 12/25/11 3:19 PM, Eric Dalquist wrote:
>> Hello there, I'm going to include the Jasig board and our web-presence folks on this since some of those folks can likely clarify things.
>>
>> My initial reaction was just going to point you to http://www.jasig.org/ as I thought we had all of the content on that site posted under CC but I see that isn't the case. I believe that is an oversight and that we can get our site updated shortly to have the content available under CC-Attribution
>>
>> As for citations I'm hoping the board folks can provide a list.
>>
>> Thanks for the work on the article.
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>> On 12/25/11 2:53 PM, Rex Djere wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> The Wikipedia article for Jasig is coming along nicely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasig
>>> As you will notice, Wikipedia has a couple of issues with the article up top.
>>>
>>>   * Can i please have permission to post the Jasig logo on the article under a Creative Commons license? Wikipedia requires some sort of verifiable method of known that you agree to this.
>>>   * A Wikipedia admin says that the article may be deleted in I cannot cite independent, veriable articles (such as news articles) discussing Jasig. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thank you,*
>>> Rex R. Djere*

Re:[jasig-webpresence] [jasig-board] [uportal-steering-committee] JASIG LOGO UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS FOR YOUTUBE

Jim Helwig-2
Thanks for those references, Pat. Anyone should feel free to add them.

I am still wondering about adding the CC-Attribute footer to our web site and wiki. Is there any reason we shouldn't do that?

JimH

on 1/3/2012 11:39 AM Patrick Masson said the following:

> [...]
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-10-2003/jw-1003-portal.html
>
> Campus Technology, 2007
> Open Source Portal Project Honored as Catalyst
> By Paul McCloskey, 07/24/07
> http://campustechnology.com/articles/2007/07/open-source-portal-project-honored-as-catalyst.aspx
>

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Jim Helwig <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Folks,
>     I am not an expert on these things. Perhaps someone like John Lewis can weigh in on this. I thought we generally wanted to apply a CC-Attribution license to our web and wiki content, but it would be good to have someone confirm this as I am not sure what the ramifications are.
>
>     If we want to do that, do we simply add it to the footer template for all our web site? Or do we need to undergo some type of review of all our content to see if it is appropriate?
>
>     And do we (can we?) do this for our wiki as well?
>
>     JimH
>
>     on 1/2/2012 9:43 AM Eric Dalquist said the following:
>
>         Just wondering if this got followed up on?
>
>         To the webpresence folks and the board, can we change the www.jasig.org <http://www.jasig.org> site to have the CC-Attribution license on the bottom?
>
>         -Eric
>
>         On 12/25/11 3:19 PM, Eric Dalquist wrote:
>
>             Hello there, I'm going to include the Jasig board and our web-presence folks on this since some of those folks can likely clarify things.
>
>             My initial reaction was just going to point you to http://www.jasig.org/ as I thought we had all of the content on that site posted under CC but I see that isn't the case. I believe that is an oversight and that we can get our site updated shortly to have the content available under CC-Attribution
>
>             As for citations I'm hoping the board folks can provide a list.
>
>             Thanks for the work on the article.
>
>             -Eric
>
>             On 12/25/11 2:53 PM, Rex Djere wrote:
>
>                 Hello!
>                 The Wikipedia article for Jasig is coming along nicely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/__Jasig <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasig>
>                 As you will notice, Wikipedia has a couple of issues with the article up top.
>
>                   * Can i please have permission to post the Jasig logo on the article under a Creative Commons license? Wikipedia requires some sort of verifiable method of known that you agree to this.
>                   * A Wikipedia admin says that the article may be deleted in I cannot cite independent, veriable articles (such as news articles) discussing Jasig. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>

>                 --
>                 Thank you,*
>                 Rex R. Djere*
>

>     --
>     You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> as: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re:[jasig-webpresence] [jasig-board] [uportal-steering-committee] JASIG LOGO UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS FOR YOUTUBE

John A. Lewis
Sorry for not having had time to weigh in on this earlier.

I agree that we should put a CC-Attribution license on the web and wiki content. I think there is nothing stopping us from doing that right now.

We had previously talked about drafting a specific CC0 contribution statement for the Jasig Confluence, JIRA, etc. It's been on a to-do list of mine for a long time...  I don't think that needs to be in place prior to putting a CC license on the sites, but it is a good idea for completeness and I will try to get that done sometime in the next few months.

One other important thing is that this inquiry was not just about CC content from the website, but specifically about our logo(s), while it is fine for those to be free from copyright protection, they are very much still under trademark protection and it is Jasig's responsibility to monitor and defend appropriate use of our trademark. So, it would be good for us to explicitly put those images into Wikipedia and make sure they are flagged accordingly.

For example, compare these pages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Googlelogo.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jasig_logo.png