Re: Welcome to the JASIG erp-integration List

Re: Welcome to the JASIG erp-integration List

Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium)
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if we managed to get a BOF for ERP integration on the
schedule at the Dallas conference.

Jason

--
Jason Shao
Director of Open Source Solutions

Your input is important to improve upon our continuous efforts to service you better. Please e-mail my manager at [hidden email] with any feedback.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail together with any attachments is proprietary and confidential; intended for only the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of the contents to any person. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not represent those of CampusEAI Consortium or the Open Student Television Network. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this e-mail, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this e-mail or attachments.

Re: Welcome to the JASIG erp-integration List

Jim Helwig-2
I don't believe so, but there may well be space. How about you or Aaron crafting an abstract for an ERP BOF?

on 1/26/2009 12:15 PM Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium) said the following:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just wondering if we managed to get a BOF for ERP integration on the
> schedule at the Dallas conference.
>
> Jason
>

> On 12/17/08 12:55 PM, "Jonathan Markow" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't know what makes you think I have any influence around here but I'll
>> see what I can do.
>>
>> -Jonathan
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Not to speak for the committee directly, but I'm sure we can get a BOF, and
>>> maybe an overview session.
>>>
>>> Jonathan, if the conference app isn't taking submissions anymore, can you
>>> facilitate Aaron getting those pieces in?
>>>
>>> Jason

erp bof

Aaron Fuleki
Here's a rewording from previous conversations:

BOF: ERP-Portal Integration
    "There is significant interest amongst uPortal schools in
collaborating on best practices regarding portal integration with our
campus ERP systems. All those interested are invited to join us for an
open conversation to share ideas, code, and other resources to build
standard portlets that benefit the community and add value to our
portal implementations."

Thoughts?  I know I totally dropped the ball on this before...

-Aaron

---------------------------------
Aaron Fuleki
Web Services Manager
Denison University
740.587.5752
---------------------------------

On Jan 26, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Jim Helwig wrote:

> I don't believe so, but there may well be space. How about you or
> Aaron crafting an abstract for an ERP BOF?
>
> on 1/26/2009 12:15 PM Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium) said the
> following:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> Just wondering if we managed to get a BOF for ERP integration on the
>> schedule at the Dallas conference.
>> Jason
>> On 12/17/08 12:55 PM, "Jonathan Markow" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don't know what makes you think I have any influence around here
>>> but I'll
>>> see what I can do.
>>>
>>> -Jonathan

Re: erp bof

Aaron,
I suggest you send this to conference committee <[hidden email]> as I think they will look kindly on it. I assume you will be there in Dallas? If so, perhaps you would act as the BOF coordinator.

JimH

on 1/27/2009 9:18 AM Aaron Fuleki said the following:

> Here's a rewording from previous conversations:
>
> BOF: ERP-Portal Integration
>    "There is significant interest amongst uPortal schools in
> collaborating on best practices regarding portal integration with our
> campus ERP systems. All those interested are invited to join us for an
> open conversation to share ideas, code, and other resources to build
> standard portlets that benefit the community and add value to our portal
> implementations."
>
> Thoughts?  I know I totally dropped the ball on this before...
>
> -Aaron
>
> ---------------------------------
> Aaron Fuleki
> Web Services Manager
> Denison University
> 740.587.5752
> ---------------------------------
>

> On Jan 26, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Jim Helwig wrote:
>
>> I don't believe so, but there may well be space. How about you or
>> Aaron crafting an abstract for an ERP BOF?
>>
>> on 1/26/2009 12:15 PM Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium) said the
>> following:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>> Just wondering if we managed to get a BOF for ERP integration on the
>>> schedule at the Dallas conference.
>>> Jason

Re: erp bof

Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium)
Works for me, though I'd suggest perhaps not limiting ourselves to uPortal,
esp. given the broader aspects of the JA-SIG conferences. E.g. Some of the
LIS/other items related to getting class/group information into LMS could
have interesting implications in terms of mapping groups from the ERP into
the portal, but would likely come in over WS or LDAP, not portelts :)

I'm thinking we should also probably try to put together a bullet list of
items:

* approaches
* commonalities/differences
* handling local institutional modifications/conventions
* domain modelling
* functionality
* handling administration
* prior work

Jason

On 1/27/09 10:18 AM, "Aaron Fuleki" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     "There is significant interest amongst uPortal schools in
> collaborating on best practices regarding portal integration with our
> campus ERP systems. All those interested are invited to join us for an
> open conversation to share ideas, code, and other resources to build
> standard portlets that benefit the community and add value to our
> portal implementations."
>
> Thoughts?  I know I totally dropped the ball on this before...

--
Jason Shao
Director of Open Source Solutions
CampusEAI Consortium
1940 East 6th Street, 11th Floor
Cleveland, OH 44114
Tel: 216.589.9626x249
Fax: 216.589.9639

Your input is important to improve upon our continuous efforts to service you better. Please e-mail my manager at [hidden email] with any feedback.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail together with any attachments is proprietary and confidential; intended for only the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of the contents to any person. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not represent those of CampusEAI Consortium or the Open Student Television Network. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this e-mail, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this e-mail or attachments.

Re: erp bof

Aaron Fuleki
Jason,
    Good suggestions.  The wording below is amended accordingly.  I'll
send this to the committee.

-Aaron

BOF: ERP-Portal Integration
   There is significant interest amongst higher education institutions
to begin collaborating on best practices regarding portal integration
with our campus ERP systems. All those interested are invited to join
us for an open conversation to share ideas, code, and other resources
to build standard portlets that benefit the community and add value to
our portal implementations.  Initial discussion points could include:
    * Possible approaches
    * Commonalities/differences
    * Handling local institutional modifications/conventions
    * Domain modeling
    * Functionality
    * Handling administration
    * Examining prior and existing work

---------------------------------
Aaron Fuleki
Web Services Manager
Denison University
740.587.5752
---------------------------------

On Jan 27, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium) wrote:

> [...]
> represent those of CampusEAI Consortium or the Open Student
> Television Network. If you have received this e-mail in error, or
> are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any
> review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
> is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a
> violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.
> section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender and delete
> this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Warning:
> Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are
> present in this e-mail, the companies cannot accept responsibility
> for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this e-mail or
> attachments.
>
> --
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]

Oh, I changed "portlets" to "components" as well.  Off to the
committee it went!

I'm sure we could broaden/abstract the scope quite a bit, but I think
the current core of institutions is interested in getting a pool of
portlets together very soon (perhaps using existing work).  I think
that can happen in parallel to broader conversations about data
models, service types, future development standards, etc.

-Aaron

---------------------------------
Aaron Fuleki
Web Services Manager
Denison University
740.587.5752
---------------------------------

> [...]

> represent those of CampusEAI Consortium or the Open Student
> Television Network. If you have received this e-mail in error, or
> are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any
> review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
> is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a
> violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.
> section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender and delete
> this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Warning:
> Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are
> present in this e-mail, the companies cannot accept responsibility
> for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this e-mail or
> attachments.
>
> --
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]

If you're interested in meeting up once or twice before Dallas maybe on the
phone or something I'd be game to try to help co-pilot and set the stage for
this dicussion/moving forward. If you'd like - no intention of stealing your
thunder :)

Jason

On 1/27/09 12:24 PM, "Aaron Fuleki" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This e-mail together with any attachments is proprietary and confidential; intended for only the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of the contents to any person. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not represent those of CampusEAI Consortium or the Open Student Television Network. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this e-mail, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this e-mail or attachments.

   That would be awesome.  Let's do that, and feed our thoughts back
to the list/wiki.  The further along we are before Dallas, the more
useful that time will be, I think.

-Aaron

Aaron Fuleki
Web Services Manager