Re: Uportal Error 404 on clean install

fayz
I've killed the tomcat process and rebuild with ./gradlew portalInit and build was success but on the domain its refusing connection now and domain isn't secure anymore moreover the IP:PORT is showing tomcat welcome page.

Any help?

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 6:20:30 PM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
Hi,

I reinstalled Uportal using https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start and everything was build successfully but it showing Error 404 on the domain.
Capsddsature.PNG

Re: Uportal Error 404 on clean install

fayz
Hi Christian,
Thankyou for fast support.

A detailed scenario for my trouble :).

I reinstalled Uportal using https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start
The previous tomcat process was running so I killed the process and rebuild using ./gradlew portalInit -resolved
Now, Whenever i reinstall and rebuild the Uportal its building successfully but can access the Uportal on domain.
I'll share the logs in a moment.

  1. Uportal 5
  2. Openjdk version "1.8.0_275"
  3. CentOS  -7
  4. Yes, Custom Domain, No SSL right now
  5. Tried to clean rebuild uportal.
  6.  No, the domain is refusing to connect but the IP:PORT is showing the tomcat page
Yes, I followed this also.

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 10:14:41 PM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:
Sorry you're running into a spot of trouble.
A 404 by itself isn't enough information for folks to offer suggestions on what could be happening.

Could you expand with more information around:
  1. What version of uPortal and uPortal start are you using?
  2. What operating system are you using?
  3. What Java version are you using?
  4. It sounds like you are using a custom domain. How did you configure the domain?
  5. What have you tried so far to resolve the issue?
  6. Does vanilla uPortal start (uPortal start without any customizations) display the page as expected?
If you are looking for a quick start guide https://www.unicon.net/insights/articles/uportal-50-running introduces uPortal start and has quick instructions to get up and running.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 6:20 AM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I reinstalled Uportal using https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start and everything was build successfully but it showing Error 404 on the domain.
Capsddsature.PNG

Re: Uportal Error 404 on clean install

Christian Murphy

Here's Catalinia.out

Nothing looks like an error in catalina.log, though it does look like the log is truncated.
Again, you're looking for errors and/or exceptions, are you seeing some in any of the log files mentioned before, particularly anything around domain or host configuration?

Any Help?

Folks are helping.
A friendly reminder that this is an open source community first and foremost, it is a place for the community to collaborate, as time permits.
If you are looking for support with a service level agreement or are interested in dedicated training, consider reaching out to one of Apereo's commercial affiliates.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 5:47 PM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any Help?

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 11:24:48 PM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
Here's Catalinia.out
On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 10:57:29 PM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
[...]

portal/portal.log https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/637a9c15
localhost_access.log https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/e01adf5c
catalina.out https://pastebin.pl/view/raw/3a7c80e1
On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:13:12 AM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
I tried to edit server.xml in tomcat and added the following and restarted tomcat

<Host name="my.domain.com"  appBase="webapps"
           unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
           startStopThreads="0">

but still I can't access uportal on my.domain.com but it is accessible at IP/uPortal.

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 12:13:44 AM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:
An approach many adopters take is fronting uPortal/Tomcat with another server.
And most DNS and certificate providers have a guide on connecting domains and certificates they provide with Apache HTTPD.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:52 AM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thankyou for the help!

I think I found the problem.
uPortal Installation have no issues as I can access from IP:PORT/uPortal/ but not from my.domain.com.
Can you provide any domain configuration docs before installing uPortal. so it is accessible from my.domain.com?

Regards,
Faizan

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 9:23:13 PM UTC+5 [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

I fronted tomcat with apache httpd with SSL installed and followed the instructions mentioned here..
but i am getting error 403 while accessing the uportal.

I configured using

Option #2 mod_proxy/mod_proxy_ajp

and added the proxy ports also.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 11:13 PM fayz <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, The above problem is now fixed but I'm having SSL issues.  I can access from http but can't access from https://my.domain.com
I installed LetsEncrypt certificates and attached in  .gradle/tomcat/conf/server.xml

  <Connector port="8443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true">
        <SSLHostConfig>
           <Certificate certificateKeyFile="privkey.pem"
                         certificateFile="cert.pem"
                         certificateChainFile="chain.pem"
                         type="RSA" />
        </SSLHostConfig>
    </Connector>

The certificates are in same directory.
I restarted tomcat also.

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:32:40 AM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
Changed this one .gradle/tomcat/conf/server.xml

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:31:34 AM UTC+5 fayz wrote:
[...]

Which server is returning 403? Tomcat or HTTPD?
More generally, it sounds like the issue resides in Apache HTTPD configuration or Apache Tomcat configuration rather than in uPortal itself.
There are some handy guides on HTTPS with tomcat https://howtodoinjava.com/tomcat/how-to-configure-tomcat-with-ssl-or-https/ and HTTPD configuration https://www.scriptarticle.com/apache-server-configuration-file/ which may point in the right direction.
There are additionally support lists that specialize in HTTPD https://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-users and Tomcat https://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users which may also have insights.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy