RE: [uportal-dev] Kicking tires on uPortal-start

RE: [uportal-dev] Kicking tires on uPortal-start

Mace, Mark

Drew,

In our instance(s), we have a default deploy (installation) of tomcat, with a default tomcat home.  We then have a separate tomcat base (trying to stay with the terminology) that is given a different set of permissions – think of a scenario with the application manager is separate from the server manager, and there is a concern about the application manager messing with system settings.

The above is the main scenario, but another scenario where this would be of advantage (even in dev) is if you wanted to have multiple webapps that you are working on, but didn’t have to have multiple installations of tomcat.  You could then set scripts that set tomcat base (catalina.base) and tomcat would serve up that particular webapp.  Or, you could have multiple webapps being served from the same server, you can define multiple “base”s and serve up multiple webapps responding to multiple DNS names (not recommended, but it could be done)

I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other if two different values are still a viable option for uPortal-Start (uPortal5).  I believe the scenario I mentioned – separate server.home and server.base – could still be a viable option even for those that don’t want to manually compile and deploy.  Having a singular value will find some kickback in a managed environment where the deployer does not have full control of the environment.

Just my two cents.  I’ll form a pull request showing what I changed, the only real change is in the portalDeploy and portalClean tasks (I think).

--mark

Re: [uportal-dev] Kicking tires on uPortal-start

Christian Murphy
Thanks for opening https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal-start/pull/24 Mark!

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy