Questions about overlay process

Jackson, Allan

I have a question about how the overlay process is supposed to work with uportal upgrades. Basically my question boils down to: if I overlay a file, how am I supposed to know if there are changes to the original file that I will need to pull in manually?

As an example, I just upgraded my uportal-start instance to version 5.5. I'm overlaying the Messages.properties file so that I can customize some of the text that shows in the portal. When I updated uportal-start, there's a new "Direct URL" feature that includes a new text property in the messages file. Unfortunately since I'm overlaying this file, I don't get the new property in my portal, and there’s no immediately obvious indication that I’m even missing anything.

This same issue seems to apply to basically every file I've created an overlay for. I'll never even know there's an update to the file unless something suddenly breaks horribly. Using the old uportal 4 system of one git repo, the changes would have been pulled in automatically, and worst-case scenario is that I'd have to merge the changes in git.

Does anyone have a good method of keeping their overlay files up to date? Or am I just using the overlay process incorrectly?

Thanks,

Allan

Re: Questions about overlay process

Benito J. Gonzalez-2
Hi Allan,

The new approach was a trade-off between dealing with all the source and merge conflicts verses isolation of custom & overlay files. We have made changes to avoid conflicts; however, there is some work when upgrading that includes comparing changes to overlay files.

We do try to stick with SemVer (https://semver.org/). Here's my rule of thumb:

1. PATCH versions should not require any changes unless a fix required a config correction.
2. MINOR versions may have improvements that may impact JSPs, properties files, etc.
3. MAJOR versions will require a complete review of all files

Note that this is focused on the underlying overlay project. If a portlet has a MAJOR release, the overlay for that portlet should be thoroughly reviewed along with any related properties files.

All these are suggestions. These DO NOT replace adequate testing before deploying to production.

Best,
--bjagg