Queries regarding authencation of Ldap server

Queries regarding authencation of Ldap server

durgesh
I have not yet configured LDAP authentication for SSP yet. But why do we need it when SSP itself has authentication mechanism. Is it just to add extra security?
How does it work basically? Do user input LDAP credentials on SSP login page?
Also, do we need to map the LDAP users and SSP users somewhere?
If yes, how and where. If NO, then how is it decided which SSP user's dashboard to show after entering LDAP credentials.
I am currently using this thread : https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM40/Authenticating+Against+LDAP

Regards,
Durgesh
---