Production Deployment Startup

Ryan Richter
How do folks handle automatically starting tomcat with uPortal-start on a production deployment?

My system folks are looking at me a little weird about having the "gradlew tomcatStart" script. But what's more troublesome is when that command is run from outside the uPortal-start directory it fails with:

"Task 'tomcatStart' not found in root project 'current-folder-that's-not-uPortal-start'."

Any strategies for handling this would be very helpful! Thank you.

-Ryan

Re: Production Deployment Startup

Jackson, Allan

We use a build server to build tomcat and uportal, but then we deploy it to different servers. So we don’t actually have the source code or gradlew where we’re running the tomcat server.

Under your setup, you should still be able to start up tomcat without using the gradlew script if you want to. You’d just have to run the uportal-start-directory/.gradle/tomcat/bin/startup.sh script yourself.

Allan

Re: Production Deployment Startup

Benito Gonzalez-2
uPortal-start has tasks to create docker images, zip of Tomcat and "tgz" of Tomcat. Those should be run on a build server and the binary from one of these Gradle tasks versioned for control purposes.

On the target servers, there should be an environment variable set (PORTAL_HOME) that points to a directory with the local copies of configuration files, such as global.properties, uPortal.properties, etc.

You could use your standard OS method to start/stop this unzipped/untarred version of Tomcat or use docker.

I can go deeper if any of these methods look promising to you.

Best,
Benito