Kicking tires on uPortal-start

Mace, Mark

Hi all,

Just kicking the tires on uPortal-start and I noticed the portalClean and portalDeploy tasks are using server.home from the build.properties file instead of server.base (which I think would be more appropriate).  Any particular reasoning on this?  In the environments I use, the catalina.home (server.home) and catalina.base (server.base)  are two different values for ease of management/rights/etc.

If I change the values in the gradle/tasks/portal.gradle to reflect my own environment, will that have an adverse effect on other areas?

--mark

Re: Kicking tires on uPortal-start

Drew Wills
Mark,

Thank you for chiming in on this topic.  (I think we could benefit from more people "kicking the tires" at this  point.)

Looking at the uPortal 4 build.properties.sample file...

  - https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal/blob/rel-4-3-patches/build.properties.sample

There is a 'server.base' property as well as a 'server.home' property, but the one is simply set to the value of the other.

There is no information at all WRT what you might hope to achieve by making these 2 properties point to different locations.  Owing to that, I cut the 'server.base' property in uP5 and went with simply 'server.home'.

It seems like you are saying that you do use different values for these.  (I never did, but 99% of what I do is on a local deployment.)  Can you elaborate on that?

Next question:  will it still be relevant to have 2 different properties in uPortal 5?  uP5 is designed to download & set up Tomcat for you, in one way or another.  For the present and the near-term future, uP5 does it on the file system.  In the mid-term, we hope to offer a Docker container as an additional build artifact, and we expect that a lot of folks will be looking to adopt Docker-based deployment for their server environments.

drew