JASIG ERP Integration Group Status?

Tim Archer
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious as to if any traction has been gained on the jasig erp integration group? I'm a new board member here at jasig from the University of St. Francis in Joliet, IL, and I'd like to see what I can do in order to help get some of our work into the hands of the ERP group and maybe help to kick start some projects for this group.

Our Banner & Portal team from USF is planning on coming to the unconference, so I thought it'd be fun to get together with anyone else interested in ERP integration, find a spot where we can get a beer, pull out the laptops, and start to shell out some ideas and maybe even geek out writing/sharing some code.

We've just completed a rewrite of our portal that is not uPortal based, but ties very closely to our banner erp system using and pulling data from it. In fact, our entire permissions model relies on our ERP system in order to properly target content (pages, calendar entries, and announcements) to a users based on the data we have on the user in our erp system (faculty, student, alum, applicant, essentially any set of fields in banner that can be pulled efficiently through a query). We pull things from banner such as budgets, dashboards for our advancement and admissions staff, aggregated "profile" pages so faculty and staff can see snapshots of student files and comment through the web directly into banner, student schedules, financial aid, tuition bills and posting of payments, and quite a bit more. Essentially our Sungard sales rep told us we have no need for Luminus after seeing our prior version. Hopefully our latest version blows Luminus away even more now.

In any case, the code is pretty monolithic and wasn't built to be easily plug and played by other schools. The short answer to why is because we have limited time and resources and we first had to hit our deliverable milestones without worrying about how to turn it into a product at the same time. I also wanted the entire application to have a more cohesive feel than what I've seen done with traditional jsr-168 based portals. Perhaps that's just a bias due to my own lack of knowledge on jsr-168 portlets in general though. However, I'd love to share the code and perhaps with the brainpower within jasig member institutions we can roll it into proper modules for use within the uPortal framework to be consumed by other banner erp system schools and someone else will benefit.

Feel free to take a look at what we have and we'd love to collaborate with those wishing to try to consume and refactor pieces of our work. We at USF could really benefit from the jasig knowledge and support in helping us trying to find out what is consumable with some refactoring and then how to get the relevant code to the right people so everyone can work on it. Perhaps the next school that finds something consumable can start with some of our work and use the time savings our work gave them and instead modularize the code more?

You can login to our test system at https://login.stfrancis.edu using userid "georgwashington" and password "cherrytree". Be aware, this test system goes up and down throughout the day as we deploy new code to test, so if it doesn't work, try again later. The only thing I ask is that you don't do anything malicious in that test system. If you're the first one in for the day it'll ask you to confirm your address/telephone for our emergency contact system and setup some security questions to reset your password in case it is forgotten. Feel free to fill in whatever there. If you login between about 10pm to 12am CST, the system will likely be down as the database is getting recloned from the prior days production database. Just try again later.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can potentially accomplish as a group and seeing everyone at the unconference!

Thanks!

Tim Archer
Director of Information and Administrative Services
University of St. Francis
500 Wilcox Street
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: 815-774-2926
Email: [hidden email]

Re: JASIG ERP Integration Group Status?

John King-13
Hi Tim,

I'm new here, but I haven't seen any activity on this list since the
Gettysburg conference in June.

I won't be able to make it to the unconference this year, however I would be
very interested in collaborating. Our school (Geneseo) is in the process of
rolling out a new portal built on uPortal 3.1. We're also a Banner school.
Much of our ERP integration is home-grown, with some (especially in our old
portal [Oracle]) is built on code from the University of Montana.

I just had a look at your portal. As always, I'm very impressed with the work
your team does.

Best regards,
John

--
John N. King
Web Developer

Re: JASIG ERP Integration Group Status?

Jonathan Markow
John and others:

We will schedule a conference call on this subject to take place during the Unconference at a time when interested attendees are able to convene.  So if you would like to discuss Banner portlet integration but cannot attend the Unconference, please send me an email.  I will get back in touch with you to give you more details about the call.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Tim Archer wrote:
[...]

I should note that during the Jasig Board meeting this morning, there was also interest in ERP integration with uPortal and Kuali. We should also discuss this at the Unconference.

JimH