Grades of repeated courses

Natalie Candela
Hi,

We have about 10 students who are being shown off-plan, but in fact are fine. What happens is that they took a course, got either an F, AU, or W in it, then retook and passed it. The MAP is ignoring the passing grade and keeps telling us the course was not passed. For most of these students, the courses were taken before the fall of 2014, but that's not true for all of them. We are not exactly sure what the pattern is. Our IT checked the integrity of data in Banner and says that everything is clean. Can you help us figure out what's going on?

Thanks.
Natalie

Natalie Candela, Ph.D., C.Ht.

Director
Academic Success Center

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (810) 762-9832
Fax: (810) 762-9505
1700 University Avenue ~ Flint, MI 48504

Kettering University

Re: Grades of repeated courses

Paul Spaude
Natalie,

That's a current limitation of the MAP Plan Status calculation. I tested this in SSP 2.7 and even if the course is placed back on the student's Plan in a future term and failed/passed, the calculation is still considering the earlier term. Essentially, the Plan Status calculation is using the first occurrence of a course in a Plan and matches that to the transcript. It checks for the columns school_id, formatted_course, and term_code in the external data table 'external_student_transcript_course'. So, to resolve the issue and mark the student On Plan, unfortunately, you have to set a passing grade in the term it was marked as non-passing in external_student_transcript_course.

That workaround won't reflect the student's actual transcript, so for future consideration, I've created a ticket here: https://issues.jasig.org/browse/SSP-3158 to track this issue. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Paul Spaude