Fwd: Fwd: [jasig-incubation] Simple RSS portlet vs Newsreader and incubation

Fwd: Fwd: [jasig-incubation] Simple RSS portlet vs Newsreader and incubation

Susan Bramhall

Date: October 18, 2011 9:45:12 AM EDT

i'd suggest that we have the two RSS portlet owners demonstrate their portlets to the incubation committee.  until then, i don't think i'd be in a position to advise.

tc

On Oct 17, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

Hi all,

Susan has asked me to discuss how we approach the Simple RSS Portlet incubation [1]. I proposed it for incubation a few months ago as at the time there wasn't a simple way to render an RSS feed without using the deprecated RSS channel. It's initial incarnation was extremely simple: give it a URL, it will render it, caching included [2]. The idea behind this was that it would just appear as a block of content.

I've since made a number of improvements to it [3] including more (optional) user configuration and support for all types of media, and will be pushing out a new release soon. The code is all still very simple (a portlet class, some helper classes and a few JSPs). We are using here at ANU and have already submitted the required documents for this to be contributed.

The question is whether or not this should be an unsponsored contribution (effectively retiring it from incubation) or continue incubating it as a separate portlet. Whether or not all functions are available in the NewsReaderPortlet I do not know as I have not evaluated it.

cheers,
Steve

[1] https://issues.jasig.org/browse/INC-39
[2] https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Simple+RSS+Portlet
[3] http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/simple-rss-portlet-improvements/

susan_bramhall.vcf (160 bytes) Download Attachment