Banner Integration

McCrery, Kenneth
Hi All,

I'm looking for more information on where things stand with the
erp-integration list.  There doesn't seem to be an archive available.

Has anyone made any progress on Banner integration?  Virginia Tech is
getting ready to work on something.  We recently have given up on using
Luminis IV and are moving over to uPortal 3.  Luminis had a lot of
interesting and good functionality, but it was too rigid for our
environment.  I'm particularly interested to know if anyone is using the
existing Luminis Channels for Banner or the Sungard Middle-tier with
uPortal.

Ken McCrery
Virginia Tech

Re: Banner Integration

Jim Helwig-2
Regarding list archives, you can find them here:
https://lists.wisc.edu/read/?forum=jasig-erp-integration

But the list has not been very active. :-/

on 5/27/2009 10:49 AM McCrery, Kenneth said the following:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for more information on where things stand with the
> erp-integration list.  There doesn't seem to be an archive available.

Re: Banner Integration

Jonathan Markow
Hi John-

I will be at Gettysburg, as will at least a couple of other uPortal folks I know of.  Let's plan to meet up and try to coordinate efforts.

Anyone else out there care to join us?

-Jonathan

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM, John King <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings,

I've only recently joined this list, so I can't speak to any community efforts that may be underway, but I'm happy to share our status with you.

We're currently running Banner 7 (with an upgrade to 8 coming this fall). We have Banner/Portal integration for courses, grades, holds and advisor information. Our production portal is Oracle Portal 10.1.2, so unfortunately our portlets are somewhat proprietary. Our courses/grades portlet is originally from the University of Montana (I believe our initial connection with them was through CEAI/CDC). As I understand it, much of the data layer of the portlet was re-written to suit our Banner environment.

Moving forward, we have a uPortal beta running that we hope to move to next semester. I've written a new portlet front-end that runs on the client side and accesses the Banner data through a JSON web service (which is wrapping code that was simply ripped out of the original portlet - it's not very pretty).

I had already planned to rewrite our Banner integration, so I'd be very interested in collaborating. Also, if anyone listening will be at the Gettysburg conference next week, I'd love to talk to them.

Best regards,
John

--
John N. King
Web Developer

Re: Banner Integration

Jonathan Markow
Ken-

I can't answer all your questions below, but the Banner integration schools have been discussing a couple of alternatives that are available for a Banner portlet middle-tier.  At this point, Parker Grimes from Southern Utah University has offered an API that they use.  See http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/UPC/Existing+ERP+Integration.

-Jonathan